Monday, June 13, 2011

60 Meter Hurdles

The Bar
The Hurdle: Almost every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights I find myself at the bar.  Sometimes I leave at 10pm and other times I'll shut it down.  At the moment this seems to be my biggest hurdle.  It's not just the alcohol, it's the bar food.  Not only is it expensive it's just plain bad for you.  Why do I need BBQ chicken quesadillas three times a week!
The Jump: Instead of spending money at the bar I'll start packing beers to drink at the games.  I'll fill up my sports bottle with a beer or two.  Besides, who wants to be hungover on a Wednesday?  Instead of eating at the bar I'll fill up before the game.  I will allow myself $20 a week for bar food which is more than enough considering all the sports deals we get.


The Internet
The Hurdle: Oh eBay and etsy!  I love clothes that other people have and I'm just not as creative as those on etsy.  I love that dress you are auctioning off.  Let me bid $20 and pay $8 for shipping.  What a deal!  Not really.  And oh how I wish I had the skill to make my own jewelry.  But I don't, so I'll buy yours instead!
The Jump: I think I'll just have to start away completely.  I have no will power when it comes to eBay.  I love other peoples used dresses and always think it's such a good deal to buy used instead of new.

Coupons Flooding my Email
The Hurdle: $35 off $75 at New York & Company?!  I don't really need anything but this is too good a deal to pass up.  And you too Express?!  Yes, I need one shirt in five different colors!
The Jump: Mark as spam!  I'll still receive the deals in case I need to cave in one day but hopefully this will make shopping out of sight out of mind.

The Mall
The Hurdle: Since the closest mall to me is um...let's say not safe, I tend not to make as many trips there but they are still too frequent.
The Jump: The mall isn't even on my way anywhere!  Don't waste gas.  Go home and do all the laundry that has been waiting for you the past two months!

Cooking Takes Too Long
The Hurdle: I don't like to spend the time cooking so I go to Harris Teeter and get prepared foods or Lean Pockets.  Not only does this habit encourage unhealthy eating choices it just leads to me ordering pizza for lunch.
The Jump: Don't be lazy and get off your ass.  On Sunday's, go grocery shopping and prepare a big meal that can be frozen and pulled out during the week.  Voila!

Now that I've identified my challenges I need to hold myself accountable.  I'm going to leave my credit cards at home.  I'll keep the money I've allotted myself in my car and only use as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment